VortexBox software is developed and maintained by vortexbox.org
It has many features with frequent updates and improvements:
Squeezebox users normally only need to connect their vortexbox appliance to their network router and the Squeezebox will automatically detect the vortexbox music library.
- Automatically rips CDs that are inserted in the DVD drive to the hard drive.
- Automatically tags all files from on-line music databases.
- Automatically downloads album art.
- Automatic sharing of file to SMB (Microsoft) file shares.
- Squeezebox Server pre-loaded for use with Logitech SqueezeBox media players.
- Automatic re-indexing of Squeezebox Server after every CD is ripped.
- Apple discovery service support for easy use with OSX.
- DAAP - Automatically shares all MP3s for streaming to iTunes and Roku Soundbridge.
- NFS - For Linux boxes and almost anything else, Solaris etc.
- Support BBC iPlayer (Radio) plug-in. Play live BBC or last 7 days programmes. (May be restricted overseas)
- Works well for serving video and audio files to XBMC (XBOX Media Center) running on XBOX, Windows, OSX, AppleTV, or Linux.
- DLNA support - stream to Naim Uniti, Cyrus Stream, B&O Encore etc or your Internet TV!
- Good support for Sonos music players. Auto re-indexing Sonos database after each CD is ripped
Sonos users need to enable 'Sonos share' via the vortexbox web interface on any browser (if you let us know during purchase we we enable it for you) The web interface also has a Sonos player that you can use to control the Sonos player if you wish
If you do not wish to use a wireless player you can connect powered speakers or an amplifier to the green mini-jack on the appliance or use a USB DAC driven by vortexbox player which controlled from a browser or support remotes from Squeezebox, iPeng app on iPhone or iPad or Android apps such as SqueezeDroid.
There are many complimentary applications on vortexbox are waiting to be enabled:
bliss cover/tag management, Subsonic music streaming/sharing, Twonky media Server, Transmission Bit Torrent etc . . . . Just tick the box in the web interface
Vortexbox has many features which depend on 3rd party software either within vortexbox within networks or browsers or in music or media players. Consequently it is impossible to guarantee that all features will work in all situations or that everything will work with future updates. There are frequent updates and enhancements for vortexbox but if the system is working well you may wish stick with the version installed on your appliance when it is delivered.
The simplest way to back-up your digital music files is to attach a USB hard drive to vortexbox. From the web interface vortexbox will back your music onto the drive.
It may be restored by drag/dropping from any PC, MAC or Linux system. Connect again when you have more music and vortexbox will add the new files including any that have been added from external sources. 'Restore' function will automatically rebuild all missing music and data from USB.
The USB drive is formatted by vortexbox for USB backup. Existing data on the drive will be lost
The Update button on the VortexBox Web Interface will update the SW to current levels within each major SW release. VortexBox incorporates many 3rd party software items and it is impossible to fully test every function and interaction. SW updates make changes to your system and may change the way that it operates .
We advise you back-up your music and other files before applying a software update